Friday, October 26, 2007

Hannibal Lector... 35 Day Marathon


Here is the update from Pops regarding his upcoming radiation treatments... (taken from his caring bridge webpage)

"As Richard, my son, said "you look like Hannibal Lector" The truth hurts as they say. The photos are a bit interesting. What you are seeing is the Simulation process where they fit the Mask to my head in preparation for Radiation. This process took about an hour. I start my Radiation on October 31st. Appropriately Halloween!!
35 Day "Marathon"
The radiation process will take 7 weeks, 5 days a week to complete. There are several changes that will take place during this process. When I asked the Dr if there was anything I could do to make a difference in how good/bad it would affect me he said "expect the worst and hope for the best." So these are some of the side affects that I will experience
Skin reactions - could develop severe blistering in radiation area and may cause the outer and inner ear to become swollen.
Weight Loss - This could be good for me but if I have major problems eating then its possible a feeding tube will be inserted. Will devinitely loose weight they say. Many patients loose all sense of taste which will return in several months after radiation. Hoarseness is an expected side effect. Decreased Saliva becausse the radiation will eliminate the saliva in my good gland but this will return several months after radiaiton.
Now the good NEWS...
Because of the expected weight loss they have recommended several areas I should give attention to...this is what I call the opposite of Weight Watchers...
Increased calories - add butter to everything; use whipped cream as much as possible; substitute table cream for milk in everything; spread cream cheese on breads; add sour cream to soups, baked potatos; Increase protein - Melt cheese on anything possible; add ice cream to soft drinks and every evening; add peanut butter to sandwiches, crackers, etc.
Thank you all for being with me during this process. Your thoughts and prayers have been comforting and thank you for your notes of encouragement along the way. I probably will update you weekly when radiation starts next Wednesday. Thank you all again."

No comments: