Sunday, February 28, 2010

Gene Lynn Thompson April 21, 1946 - February 28, 2010


It is with deep sadness that I write that today, February 28, 2010 at 4pm we lost Gene aka Pops after his battle with cancer.

He was surrounded by his family who all gathered to be with him today. Nano, Richard, Aunt Barbara (Pops' sister), Frank & Linda Blews, Andres and I spent time the final quiet moments with him as he quietly passed. We lost our father, husband, brother and best friend today. He will be missed more than I can put into words, but never ever forgotten. We know he is looking down on us from Heaven and finally out of pain.

Thank you for your prayers, love and support. We are finalizing plans for his Memorial Service and will post details soon.

Now we are getting through the day telling stories and remembering my father, the man who was larger than life! If you have any stories you want to share, please post them. I know Nano and our entire family would love to hear them... and help keep Pops' spirit alive.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was just three years ago Gene, Tina, Rich and ran the ING Half Marathon together. Tina, Rich and I stuck together most of the race running alittle but walking mostly when all the sudden we get passed by Gene the speed walker. I remember laughing because he had been walking the entire race and passed us. He was an extremely fast walker.

Mean Gene you will always be missed and never forgotten. When I visit my parents I will always look next door and see your smiling facing. We love you always
Kelly Ponder

kristi said...

Pops' spirit will always live on. Always. I am praying for peace for all of your families and friends. Tina, I know our Dads brought such fun to any and every Sorority event they were allowed to come to!! Wonderful cherished memories.........

Unknown said...

David and I are so saddened by Gene's passing. Gene's laugh was infectious (I can hear it now) and his presence in a room always bigger than life. He was such a funny, gracious, happy, kind person. This is his legacy. Blessings on the family during this time.
Barbara Havel

Mike Hagley said...

I am sorry to hear about Gene's passing. He was very well liked by many of us in the pipe smoking community, and will be sadly missed. There have been posts on several internet pipe groups about his death. My sincere condolences.

Mike Hagley
Suwanee, GA