Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Radiation Days 4, 5, & 6

Pop's has already started losing weight in the week since he has started radiation. I have tried to convince him to treat himself to a Dairy Queen every day on the way home from his appointment. I know with his lack of saliva and his taste buds changing it is harder, but I hope he keeps eating as much as he can. Mom will have to start bringing home ice cream treats after work if he doesn't start eating more!

Here is an update from Pop's regarding his first week of radiation... (taking from his caring bridge webpage)

"Day 4, 5, 6 – November 5th 2007 – Monday – Tuesday – Wednesday – Sunny all days, temp at or around 70 degrees
I have just completed 1 week of radiation. While receiving the radiation treatment I have started noticing things when I’m strapped down. It takes around 15-20 minutes. You can see in the photo there is a very large device to my right, approximately 30” in diameter. This is where the radiation comes from. As this device rotates around my head there is a large glass with blades that move from the outside to the inside forming a small to a large pattern. It directs the radiation to a certain spot on my neck. As the large device rotates around my head it stops in10-12 different locations and radiation is dispersed for 8 to 15 seconds to the spot at different angles. I hope this is not too confusing. At this point I am still tired and napping during the day. My mouth is getting dryer with each treatment. Thank all of you for your thoughts and prayers. I look forward to hearing from you."

No comments: